Uncategorized

Day 13 Experimenting with Beer Growler

I’m observing this morning that the English Nut Brown Ale in the primary fermentation bucket is slowing a little to an airlock bubble every 7 or 8 seconds. The growler was never faster than every 17 or 18 seconds and is also trailing off. I’m concerned that there was not enough yeast in this container. I’ll keep that beer segregated from the rest at bottling. Maybe I should do a second fermentation stage with more yeast? Maybe I’ll do that today.

9:00 am     I decided to take a chance and just add more yeast to the beer in the growler. I sanitized my thief and hydrometer and checked the SG, which was about 1.01 at 73 degrees (1.011 adjusted). I added 1/8 teaspoon of the yeast. I’m just guessing on the validity of that amount. It immediately started bubbling in the airlock again at a rate of once per every 27 seconds…we’ll see if that picks up and, eventually, if I ruined the amount in the growler or saved it. It was kind of a bonus amount anyway. I still have my 1 gallon+ in the fermentation bucket.

On another subject, the test bottle of cider that I capped yesterday seems to be settling. Should I be able to see the bubbles in it? I hope I got the cap on correctly! The patience required by the brewing process, just to see if you messed up anywhere along the process, is very frustrating!

1:45 pm     Back to the beer. The primary fermentation bucket continues to bubble, but at a slightly slower rate of about every 10 to 12 seconds. The growler is currently at one  per minute. Did the yeast help? Did the alcohol already produced, inhibit the added yeast? Does this container need longer than the PFB, less time or bottle them at the same time? Hmmm, 7 to 10 days would be Tues. through next Thursday. Just have to keep watching those bubbles!

10:30 pm     The beer bucket is bubbling about every 14 seconds now. The growler goes off about every minute and a half.

I think tomorrow, if I have time, I’m going to rack the carboy of Cider batch #1 into a new carboy for a final clearing and aging stage. I haven’t decided how long to let it go. Some things I’ve read say to wait until next Spring to bottle the cider. I don’t think I’m going to wait it out past late January at the latest. Maybe as early as mid-December. Yeah…probably December. The English Nut Brown Ale, I hope to have ready to take to our Thanksgiving gathering. Should I call it “Cleese Brown Ale” or maybe “Fawlty Brown Ale” in honor of my favorite English nut? Tweeted John Cleese…I wonder if he’ll see it and/or respond. That would be cool!

Advertisements
Standard

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s