Everything is in a holding pattern today. I used a stopwatch application on my phone to time the airlock bubble on the English Nut Brown Ale and I got a time of 1 minute and 20 seconds. I would love to get this bucket racked, but I can’t rush it. This is the most frustrating part about brewing!!! I guess I could go ahead and rack it to another bucket and blend in the growler, since it’s ready. I think I’ll wait until tomorrow.
I looked at the two test bottles that I did on the crabapple cider batches. The batch #1 bottle is confusing. The main part is clear, but up at the top, there are some specs and on the bottom there are still some small bits floating from the bottom of the bottle to about an inch off the bottom. On the bottle from batch #2, there are the same little specks on the surface, but everything on the bottom is clear and settled…and the cider for this bottle was cloudier to begin with.
Had some time this afternoon and decided to start another batch of cider…#3! The leaves are falling off of the crabapple trees and the fruit is beginning to rot. This is probably my last chance to forage some crabapples before they are more rotten than not.
I followed the same process as before, except I took the stems and blossom ends off of the crabapples first. I think that just helped the processing through the juicer.
So, I have a batch in the primary fermentation bucket. I had 4 cups of juice and added 6 quarts of water, so the volume should be in between batch #1 and #2. The SG is 1.052 at about 75 degrees room temperature. Adjustment for hydrometer calibrated for 60 degrees gives an adjusted SG of 1.053.
There will be one other change in batch #3: I will be using about 3 grams of Safale s-04 Dry Ale Yeast instead of Champagne Yeast. (This is the same yeast I used for the English Nut Brown Ale.) Eventually, I’ll do a bottle to bottle comparison, if all goes according to plan! Maybe I’ll even find someone to give me a more educated opinion.