With a little help from my youngest, I bottled my batch of dry stout. While cleaning my equipment, I tipped over a bucket that had my hydrometer in it and, of course, it broke. Happens eventually to us all, I’m sure. Luckily, I got a backup when I acquired some freebies! Lesson learned though…need to go buy a replacement to have on hand. Now, yesterday I got an adjusted SG of 1.013 and today, with the other hydrometer, I get an adjusted FG of 1.015. I don’t know…if it’s more accurate than yesterday, my ABV would only be 2.89%. If I go by yesterday’s reading, it would be 3.15%. Oh well. The color and flavor seem to be right.
I’m going to give away a few to some experienced home brewers and stout drinkers to try (with the warning to wait until maybe a week or two into January for opening). I was pretty careful not to bottle any lees and I think the stout looks nice and clear, but deeply dark.
I marked a test bottle that was at the end of the bottling that would be the most at risk of getting a little sediment. I primed with 1-5/8 oz corn sugar dissolved in 12 oz boiling water. I haven’t come up with a name or label design for this beer. I may not for this one. For now, it’s clean-up time.