Uncategorized

Day 42 Sample from Cider Batch #4 and Another Stout Brew Started

I carefully opened a bottle of cider from batch #4 this morning. I poured maybe a 1/2 ounce and immediately re-capped with a sanitized, fresh cap. The sample has a nice, golden color. The flavor and level of sweetness are great! Surprisingly, however, the carbonation is just barely perceptable. Not so much as the sample flip-top bottle. I had guessed that there would be a little more, but these are 22 oz bottles and maybe they are a little behind the 16 oz flip-top tester, despite it having been opened a few times. I had a little overflow while bottling stout last night, so I took out the paper towel liner that I had in the bottom of the box and tossed it. I removed the divider piece and let it and the box dry overnight.

Stout, ready for a little bottle time.

Stout, ready for a little bottle time.

This morning they were already nice and dry, so I replaced the paper towel layer on the bottom, replaced the bottle divider loaded the box with stout! Next, I decided to see if I could use some of the ingredients that I acquired for free. The grains should be ok, they are whole and sealed. The malt is sealed and shouldn’t be contaminated. They just have a little age on them. As one person said, if nothing else, it should be an okay “2nd beer”…something you drink after a first, higher quality beer. I used “Brewer’s Friend” and put together a stout recipe. I used the food processor to bust up the grains, but not make powder out of them. Many grains remained whole.

Processor chopped grains

Processor chopped grains

Grains in the food processor

Grains in the food processor

I’m calling this one Big Dark…the estimate is to come in around 6.8% ABV. I Just finished getting the wort into the primary fermentation bucket (PFB) and cleaning up. The OG was 1.046 @ 69F. Adjusting for the hydrometer, that should be 1.047. That’s way under the estimate of 1.072…I don’t know if it’s the hydrometer or something I did. Maybe I should have ground the grains more? Maybe the wort temperature was a little higher when I checked the SG? If I assume the hydrometer is accurate, then the next thing is to look at the estimated FG on the recipe. That projection is 1.020. That would would make the projected ABV 3.41%. Maybe the OG is off. I’ll check it again tomorrow. I really expected more alcohol in this one. If I have to, I’ll add some corn sugar tomorrow.

Grain bag steeping

Grain bag steeping

I also added a split vanilla bean to this one, in the PFB, I’m probably going to go a little longer bottle conditioning this beer to blend and mellow the flavors. I think it was a little bitter when I tasted it going between the brew pot and the PFB.

Ready for a few days of fermenting

Ready for a few days of fermenting

9:00 pm  Opened a bottle of the TARDIS Cider ( Bigger on the Inside) tonight. It was in a cooler part of the house for storage, so it felt chilled, but not refrigerated. The color was pale and the carbonation was very strong on the pour. The flavor was crisp and almost dry.

TARDIS Cider (Bigger on the Inside)

TARDIS Cider (Bigger on the Inside)

Very Champagne-like. I’m thinking that this will be a good choice for New Year’s Eve and possibly our Christmas food/drink celebration  with the In-laws. Very pleased with this crabapple cider!

Pale and crisp!

Pale and crisp!

10:30 pm   I couldn’t help myself. I had a fresh pineapple that needed to be used and I had just cleaned a 1/2 gallon carboy, a freebie from Murray’s Cider!  So, I started a pineapple experiment. I guess it’s going to be kind of a Pineapple Melomel (Mead), but it will have brown sugar and white sugar in addition to some honey. Right now, I have it going with 1/2 a campden tablet for 24 hours.

Beginnings of a my pineapple experiment

Beginnings of a my pineapple experiment

Blended and half a vanilla bean added

Blended and half a vanilla bean added

I put the recipe through a mead calculator and I need to add more sugar to get the projected ABV% higher. I bumped it up with white sugar, but I’ll use as much honey as I can and make up any difference with white sugar, instead. I’ll take an OG reading and then pitch the yeast. I think I’ll also add more water and move to a gallon carboy for the primary fermentation so 1) I don’t blow the airlock and 2) so that when the must settles, I can rack a full half gallon. Whew! Whatta day!

No flash

No flash

Using the flash really shows the pineapple must layer.

Using the flash really shows the pineapple must layer.

So, tomorrow, I’ll mix what honey I have left and enough white sugar to total 8 oz with an equal part of hot water to dissolve. I’ll add that to a 1 gallon carboy and transfer the contents of the 1/2 gallon carboy to the 1 gallon carboy and top with more water to compensate for leaving the must behind after fermentation. Tomorrow night, I’ll pitch the yeast. Then, I’ll need to decide how long to leave it in secondary and possibly a third racking for clarification and conditioning before bottling. After that, how long in the bottles? I think this will be fun! But it does take patience for a good result!

Oh, I checked on the pineapple batch before calling it a night and there are three distinct layers now. Interesting!

Three layers! Racking should be interesting.

Three layers! Racking should be interesting.

Advertisements
Standard

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s