Everything went smoothly…sanitized everything before starting. Steeped the grain bag for 30 minutes between 152 and 158 F.
Sparged “tea bag dunk” style with 1-1/3 gallons of 168 F water for a couple of minutes and added it to the main wort.
Brought that to a boil and removed from heat. Stirred in the malt extracts and the Dark Candi Sugar (syrup). I returned the pot to the heat and brought the wort back to a boil. I added the hops and set the timer for 60 minutes.
When the 60 minutes was up, there’s where I had a little trouble. It took me much longer than I wanted to bring the temp below 80 F. I had two bags of ice and it went pretty fast in the sink ice bath, even with emptying my freezer’s little icemaker. I checked the OG @85 F wort temp and got 1.070 and adjusted to 1.073. I transferred the wort to my bottling bucket (which I use for primary fermentation) and I added 1-1/3 quarts cold water. It didn’t really help much, but it got me to the target 3-1/2 gallon target volume. Back to the sink and cold water plus stirring to aerate and I got down to 77 F. Luckily, I took my vial of liquid yeast out when I started the process, so it did get the recommended 3 hours out to reach room temp! Shook it up and added it to the wort. Sealed the bucket and agitated it for a couple of minutes and we are off and running…with crossed fingers!