I have racked Yooper’s Oatmeal Stout into two separate buckets to finish. First I racked it all into a bottling bucket, leaving the trub behind. Then I racked 2 gallons of that onto the gingerbread flavoring…and that smelled AWESOME!!!
That left a little less than 3-1/2 gallons plain…I’m calling in 3.3 gallons. The hydromenter reading is 1.019, after correction for temperature, which is slightly higher than where it is projected to finish, but it started a little bit higher, as well.
Should be in good shape. The color and flavor seem to be good. Looking forward to the finished product!
I’m about to start the process to wash the yeast and harvest it. If the yeasts I’ve tried in my little cider project don’t do the job, I might use some of the yeast from this batch of stout. Otherwise, I store it in the refrigerator and see if I can find a use for it soon.
Update 1/2/15: I pitched the yeast from the little starter I was attempting into my 1/2 gallon batch of cider…waiting for signs of renewed fermentation. I might transfer to a larger container and add more cider…maybe.
Drained liquid from yeast washing project (British Ale II from Wyeast) and tranferred the yeast to my flask and added Culligan bottled water.
Update 1/3/15: Tonight, I poured off the liquid for the second time on the Wyeast British Ale II in the washing process. I also made a starter wort in my flask, 800 ml water and 1/4 cup of DME. The SG was only around 1.020, so I added some white sugar and bumped it up to around 1.040 (DME is messy, trying to get it into a flask opening). I chilled the wort to about 70F and poured the harvested yeast into the flask. I’m going to grow the volume on the yeast in the starter and then crash it and store it in the refrigerator until needed. I probably won’t have another brew day for a few weeks and haven’t decided what it might be yet, much less what yeast I’ll be needing.
Anyway, the starter is pitched and underway.