Tomorrow is a brewing event at my local homebrew shop (LHBS) and I’ve decided to participate and brew a saison with mostly North Carolina sourced ingredients.
So, I needed to rack the Belgo Paleo to secondary fermentation while I have an empty carboy. Then I needed to rack it back into the first carboy, so I could use the second one tomorrow. The reason is that the first carboy is glass and the second is plastic. The plastic one will be much easier to handle and transport.
I pulled a sample to check with the hydrometer and it looks like the same as my last sample: 1.017. I don’t think it’s going to go down anymore…1.009 is just not happening.
The taste is good, in my opinion, though. I will let it go a few days in secondary to see if fermenation kicks back up at all. Then I will go for the dry hop addition. Overall, I think we’re okay. The beer will be a bit lower ABV than projected, but that’s not a huge deal.
Update 5/3/15: Dry hop addition of 1 oz Saaz hop pellets are in. I sanitized a small muslin bag for the hops to go in and worked it into the carboy.
Update 5/7/15: Okay…so, the Belgo Paleo is in secondary and off the trub. Dry hops added 4 days ago…everything sanitized. Now, we have signs of additional fermentation. Bubbling in the airlock…not strong or frequent, but fairly regular. Signs also on the surface. Good thing I’m not in a hurry, but I have a lot going on over the next couple of weeks, including a nose surgery and recovery, so I guess this won’t get bottled until late May, if not sometime in June.*sigh*